This listed monument dating from 1957 with its impressive highrise building on Georgsplatz was to be refurbished and extended. In agreement with the monument preservation department, the Travertine façade was replaced with an insulated, rear-ventilated structure in the same materials and proportions. Thermally optimized aluminium structures with similarly delicate profiles were used instead of the misshapen wooden windows. The foyers, staircases and the large conference room were also restored appropriately, but the offices were adapted to meet up-to-date technical and design standards. The only completely new section of the building was in the courtyard above the counter-hall, but this cannot be seen from the outside. After carefully executed modernization the building can once more fulfil its function as a prestigious structure that makes an impact on the cityscape.