The distinctive ensemble of the city hall/ Kuppelsaal and Niedersachsenhalle (Lower Saxony Hall) by the architect Paul Bonatz built in 1913 will be extended by two roofed multi-storey car parks with 900 parking spaces as well as adjacent open air parking capacity for disabled people and coaches. This project was realized in two stages.
The distinctive feature of this sensitive location in the exclusive Hindenburg-/ Zoo Quarter constitutes the realization of a cost-efficient and open car park with natural ventilation of the parking levels, making noise protection for the neighbouring residents an absolute priority. Noise prevention is guaranteed by the surrounding structure with gabions serving as a noise barrier and green areas with high hedges. Metal paneling in the upper area of the facade also serves as noise barrier and reduces light emission out of the building.
The 1.500 m² photovoltaic system on the roof has a peak output of approximately 300 kWp. New communal green areas as a park surrounding the car park form the link to the surrounding upmarket and newly developed residential quarters.